Saturday, October 15, 2022
9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Collage is a method of creating art through the assemblage of items (such as paper, fabric, and other items) to form a new work. Join artist Marcia Ballou and learn the basics of collage in this daylong workshop.
The workshop will focus on intense and vibrant color combined with design. We will work with a beautiful palette of painted and printed paper. Using traditional painting and composition, we will explore layering and applying patterns and values.
In the morning, we will explore ways to loosen up and work with creative spontaneity. We will create a series of small works that will form a visual vocabulary. After lunch, we will create a larger piece using that visual vocabulary with a slower process.
The workshop will follow this schedule:
- 9:00 – 10:00 am: Introductions, demo, and set up to work.
- 10:00 am – 12:00 pm: Learn the basics of collage and create one or two small pieces.
- 12:00 – 1:00 pm: Lunch break. (Participants should bring their own lunch.) Participants are welcome to tour the museum and grounds.
- 1:00 – 3:00 pm: Create a large collage.
- 3:00 – 4:00 pm: Wrap up, sharing of works, and clean up
No experience with collage is necessary. We will be using acrylic paint, acrylic mediums, stencils, and spray paint along with painted and printed papers. All materials will be provided.
Instructors: Marcia Ballou (marciaballou.com)
Materials Fee: $35.00, payable directly to the instructor at the start of class. Cash or check, please.
10 participants maximum